Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It's Me Again, Margaret...

I haven't written since before our trip to Bryan / College Station.  It was a GREAT trip, but I was super tired when I got back.  I needed rest!

Our trip was a lot of fun, but I wasn't sure it would be once we started driving that way.  About 20 minutes into our trip Ally told me that she thought was getting a migraine.  I gave her some of her migraine medicine and hoped it would kick in soon.  It didn't seem to though.  Actually, she seemed to get worse.  At one point she even asked if we could just go home.  My response to her was, "Let's just see what happens when we get to Bryan."  I kept praying that she'd feel better.  I was actually worried that something was really wrong with her.  Not only did her head hurt, but so did her stomach.  The question, "Will I be able to take her to swim camp?" kept going through my head.  I hoped that she would be able to make it.  I had paid a lot of money for it and I knew in my heart that she'd learn from it.  Finally, about half way there she told me she needed to throw up so I pulled over and the heaving started.  It was gross...  It was her Chick-fil-a breakfast and it smelled awful.  The kind of smell when you eat something that is not good.  Needless to say, once she finished throwing up she felt better and had color in her face again.  (Did I mention she was white as a ghost?)  We continued to Bryan and mile by mile she felt better.

Once we got to Bryan I went straight to my friend Mary's house.  Ally decided to lay down for a while.  After about an hour and a half, she felt good enough to ask if we could go eat at Wings-n-More.  I wasn't sure if she should eat there, but we went anyway.  Once we finished eating, my friend Mary, her husband Joe, Whit, and I took Ally to Swim Camp.  She stayed in a dorm that was a suite.  She had a roommate and two suite mates.  She was so excited!  As we were getting Ally all settled in we were able to meet the other girls parents.  After a bit, I realized these people probably thought we were in some weird relationship and I felt it was necessary to let them know we weren't sister wives or anything strange like that.  It was kind of funny.  The people we were talking to looked a little relieved when I told them I was the mom and Mary and Joe were family friends that were helping get Ally situated since Mike had to work.  Yep, it was funny....  :)

Whit and I stayed with Mary and Joe for the week.  Joe's one house rule for us staying was that we make ourselves at home.  Let me say, that was easy to do.  They are great people and I felt right at home in their house.  So did Whit.  She enjoyed entertaining, or being entertained by Mary and Joe's 16 year old son.   I haven't been around too many 16 year old boys, but he is a trip.  We laughed at him so many different times I can't even count.  Thanks Travis!

There were lots of things I was looking forward to during the week.  I couldn't wait to meet up with my "Swim Cliche' Crew" (Mary, Jeannie, & Kellie - my very best friends.  We became close friends when we sat at our kids' swim practice.  I think we all compliment each other very well.)  I also looked forward to going to a few different places I miss since we don't have them here in East Texas.

During the week I was able to do lots of things and see several friends. We decided to go out to Lake Bryan on Sunday.  Joe brought the tube and convinced Whit to give it a try.  She only agreed if he promised to go slow.  That didn't last too long.  After a bit she was telling him to speed it up!  She is a little daredevil!  We stopped after a while and swam for a bit and then headed back to shore and home.  Later that night we heard on the news that somebody had drowned out there at 9:30 in the morning.  We had no idea while we were out there.  Apparently, this guy was in the swimming area and got out too far (where it dropped off) and since he couldn't swim, wasn't able to get back to the swimming area.  And, according to the news he was pretty drunk when that happened. That definitely didn't help matters.  It was kinda creepy to know we were out there just a short time after it had happened.  Felt really bad for the guy and his family too.

Monday was spent with Whit.  We ate at Chuy's and just hung out.  We went to a "real mall" (Whit's words) and found plenty of stuff we "needed" to get.  :)  I also made a trip to Bed Bath & Beyond.  I miss that store!  They have everything!  I would have loved buying a lot more than I bought, but I tried to control myself.  hehe  I did get a couple new pots and a large cutting board, both of which we really needed.  I also spurged on some insulated cups that I have been wanting for some time.

On Tuesday night Mary invited a lot of people from Bowen, my old school, to her house to come see me.  Several people showed up and it felt so good to see them.  It really made me miss working there.  They are great people.  Miss them terribly!!!

Wednesday night is Kid Eat Free Night at Wings-n-More.  Yippee!!!!!  Before going to eat at Wings, I got to spend the day with Mary and Jeannie.  We got pedis and then decided we were going to cut Jeannie's hair.  It was fairly long and always seems to be in a clip piled on top of her head.  Before Jeannie could protest Mary had an appointment scheduled for her that afternoon.   By 3:30, sister girl had hair almost as short as mine.  It frames her face and is SUPER cute on her! Later, I really enjoyed eating at Wings-n-More.  My "Swim Cliche'" crew and our friends Erin and David Provacek and 3 of their 4 kiddos decided to meet there.  I had the best time with all of them.  I also got to see one of my former students there.  I taught Braden music as a kindergartner and 1st grader and then I got the privilege of teaching him in 3rd grade.  LOVE that kid!  I told his mom I'd be there and found out they would be there too.  I knew I'd get to see him, but his mom didn't tell him I'd be there.  When he saw me I got the biggest hug ever!  He also informed me that he wants me to move back and teach middle school now that he would be a 6th grader.  Braden, I'd totally do that if I got to have you in class again!

Thursday was Ally's last day of swim camp.  Before picking her up I was able to watch her last practice session.  Other than having to walk what seemed like 5 miles to get to the A&M Nautitorium I enjoyed being there.  I did sit at the top for a bit so nobody could see how sweaty I was from the walk, but soon I was cooled down and ready to take pictures.  I met her back at the dorms at 11:00 to get her stuff and check her out.  I couldn't wait to hear how it went.  One of the first things she told me about was that she figured out how to make her butterfly stroke easier and less tiring.  Cool!  We went to eat and she told me lots about camp.  By the time we ate dinner that night she was exhausted!  She could hardly keep her eyes open.  It must have been pretty great to be that tired!

Friday rolled around and we needed to get ready to head home.  We made one last pit stop at Wings-n-More since I promised Allison I'd take her there before we left.  I also promised Mike I'd bring home some Super Caliente wings and some pickle chips.  (He was like a kid at Christmas when I gave the wings and pickle chips to him!)  After our pit stop, it was time to hit the road!

Our trip was so much fun.  I needed this trip.  I learned that as much as I say I miss that place, I really don't admit just HOW MUCH I miss that place.  We will definitely be back there again someday.  It just feels like home!  And, the people we have there are like family and miss us just as much as we miss them.  That's a pretty good feeling...

No comments: