Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Food Stamps are NOT For Sale!!!

Well, I did it.  I went to Wal-Mart again today.  I was there by 8:00 this morning with my list of groceries in hand.  I did a little price matching and use a whopping 3 coupons to save myself $23.03.  No extreme couponing going on here, but I wouldn't mind figuring out how to save a little more money on groceries.  I guess, all in all, not a bad start.

While shopping this random guy comes up to me and asks me if I want to buy some food stamps. "It'll save you a ton of money."  He really caught me off guard - I politely declined and as quick as he was there he was gone.  As soon as he disappeared, the sirens started going off in my head.  Did he seriously just ask me to buy his food stamps?  SERIOUSLY???  I guess I've heard that people sell them, but reality hit home today.  It DOES happen.  I found somebody that was working there and told them about the guy.  He seemed a little surprised too.  Needless to say, it was an interesting trip to the store.

Making some progress on the house already.  After groceries were put away I cleaned out the pantry cabinets. It is hard to believe how much stuff we had in there that just needed to go.  Now I have lots of room for more stuff.  But, I am NOT going back to Wal-Mart to get anything else.  Think I'll give that store a break for a few days....

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Brandy, here in Kansas they went from using the traditional food stamps to issueing 'vision' cards that are preloaded with the food stamp amount on them. People used to sell food stamps 50 cents on the dollar, and it was a pretty good little scam for them. They would sell $10 worth of food stamps for $5 and then take the money to buy alcohol and cigarettes which they couldn't buy with their food stamps. Those days are now gone. I'm surprised that every state hasn't switched to the cards. Pretty creepy that he just walked up to you like that! Some people have a lot of nerve!

Brandy said...

We have a card too. I think it's called the Lonestar card. I have heard that people sell those. I'm surprised that they can though because it would make sense to me that they should have to show ID or something. Crazy....