Monday, July 4, 2011

A New Look...A Birthday...and Fireworks...

I started to post tonight, but when I got to my blog I was like "Ugh"... I just wasn't feeling it.  It wasn't inspiring me.  I needed something summer-y-ish.  I wanted something bright and refreshing.  Found this blog background at The Cutest Blog on the Block.  I really like that site.  There are tons of free backgrounds, banners, and stuff.  I always find something I like on there.  Check them out if you want to "bling" up your blog.  :)

In the past week or so I have been BUSY!  The girls left for church camp on June 27th.  They were gone from that Monday until Thursday the 30th.  While they were gone I decided that it would be fun to redo Allison's room to surprise her.  I worked my tail off!

The first thing I needed to do was remove what remained of the brown paper bags that had been wallpapered to one of her walls.  We had picked at it over the past several months and removed some of the bigger pieces.  BUT, some of it was so stubborn that I thought we'd NEVER get it off.  Luckily, I have a friend that offered to let me borrow her wallpaper steamer. It took nearly an entire day, but that thing worked!  I was so stoked!

After getting that mess off the walls, I started painting.  I cut in around the ceiling, baseboards, doors, and window.  When Mike got home, he helped me get everything else filled in.  Her lime green room seemed to glow, but it looks so much better than before.  The color is bright, but it is just perfect for Ally.  Once the walls were done, the carpet got cleaned and I was ready to get everything back in the room.

The week before camp, I spent time painting her furniture.  I bought it at a garage sale last year and finally got it all painted.  I don't think Mike thought I would actually ever get it done, but I did.  I was determined to get it done.  When we started getting it in her room I really liked how the white contrasted with the lime green walls.  It was pretty exciting!

I spent Thursday getting little things finished and her stuff back in her room.  There are still a few things left to do.  I want to put a shelf along the top of two of her walls and I still need to make her curtains and get them hung up.  The last thing to do is get the last 3 knobs for her vanity.  I bought all they had at Hobby Lobby and I'm waiting on them to get them back in so I can pick them up.





                                                



Allison's face when she saw her room was priceless!  She was so excited!  I was so glad that I did this for her!  Next is Whit's room...if we can ever get rid of some of her stuff so we can see the floor!  lol

Today is my sister's birthday.  When she was little, she truly believed everybody celebrated her birthday because there were always fireworks every year.  I am sure she was disappointed when she learned the truth, but I honestly think she still like to "believe" the fireworks are just for her.  We'll let her believe that if it makes her feel better.  Even at the ripe old age of 34.  :)  Happy birthday to my little sister, Mandy!  I love you and miss you bunches!!!!!
                                                  

Speaking of fireworks... We planned on taking the girls to see the fireworks display tonight.  Well, our plans got derailed due to weather.  It rained for a bit, but what convinced us to stay home was the thunder AND lightning that was flashing in our windows.  We just didn't want to be out in that kind of weather.  So, we watched it on TV.  NBC had a pretty good show.  Allison seemed to enjoy it.  I think Whit was more interested in doing whatever Whit does most of the time - hang out in her room.  I don't think she had as much interest in watching fireworks as Allison.  Neither did Mike. He went to bed about 15-20 minutes into it.  Needless to say, other than a little thunder and lightning, we had a pretty uneventful night.  

Hope the rest of the week is peaceful too.  Goodnight!  Talk to you soon!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I love and miss you too!

Peggy said...

The room turned out so good! I would have loved the dresser with all of the peace symbols on it...Also loved the photo of Mandy! :) Aunt Peggy