Sunday, March 4, 2012

Six Weeks and Three Days Later...

It has officially been six weeks and three days since my surgery.  I have lots to update you about since my last post.

#1 - I am getting around just fine!  Whoop! Whoop!  My mother-in-law works in a nursing home and has helped me out by bringing an electric wheelchair to me at school.  It has made my life so much easier there.  I still have trouble getting around a few places at school, but for the most part, I am motor scootin' just fine. :) She also let me borrow a regular wheelchair for the house.  It is so much easier than the office chair.

#2 - My foot is feeling better every day.  The incision on the inside of my foot has been healing beautifully.  The scabs are about all gone and all that is left is a scar.  The incision on the outside of my foot is healing also, just not as fast as the other one.  It is still scabbed up and sometimes looks horrible because of my foot sweating inside the sock and boot I wear all day.  I can tell that it is healing though, so that is good.  The pin in my foot bothers me from time to time because I can now feel it.  If I remember to take my medicine it helps tremendously.

#3 - I go back to see Dr. Witt on Friday, March 9th at 8:20 a.m.  He said he would take x-rays at that time and would most likely be pulling the pin out of my foot.  I am so anxious to get the pin out.  I can feel it from time to time throughout the day and it really bothers me.  My kids at school have asked numerous times to show them pictures of my foot.  I really am not comfortable with that.  I totally would do it if I thought parents would be okay with it, but there is always one parent that wouldn't be, and I don't want to offend them.  So, as a compromise, I told the kids that when they take the pin out of my foot I would ask to keep the pin and show them.

#4 - In the past 2-3 weeks I have been getting incredibly frustrated with my lack of independence.  I think my family is too.  They don't understand that I just can't "crutch my way" places.  First of all, it wears me out.  Secondly, and most importantly, I am scared of falling and having to start this whole ordeal over again.  I am so tired of having to ask for help with things.  I am tired of not being able to just get up and do the things I want/need to do.  It absolutely SUCKS...  Until you have your ability to walk taken away you have no idea how much we take it for granted.  While I have always respected people who are permanently in my situation, I have a new found respect for them.  It is incredibly difficult to get around in a world that is meant for walking people.  While there are accommodations at some places, there are little to none other places.  It sucks...

For now, I'll just suck it up and hang in there.  In less than a week I'll hopefully be closer to being on the home bound stretch of this journey.  Keep your fingers crossed and pray for me!

No comments: